Class photograph of students at the Surry Village School, ca. 1920. Students seated in the first row are: Bill McGraw, James Clough, Ray Wood, Clifton Carlisle, Fred Torrey, Everett Wood and Everett Leighton. Students seated in the second row: Erva Bragdon, Althea Kane, Ilajeau Blaisdell, Florence Blaisdell, Frances Saunders, Erma Bragdon, Cora Saunders and Charles McGraw. Students standing in the third row: Lena Sperry, John McGraw, Margaret Olds, Arnold McGraw, Barbara Stanley, Edith Conary, Helen Milleken, Dora McGraw, Florence Kane, Wendell Stanley, Percy Blaisdell and Marie Bragdon. The Surry Village School was built in the 1870s for a sum of $2,000.00. By the 1920s the school was modernized and a water cooler with a spigot was installed. Students made cups for drinking water by folding sheets of arithmetic paper. Electricity was installed in the 1930s followed by chemical toilets in the 1940s. This school was closed in the 1950s.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.